Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My walls are up!

I realize that I have been super complain-y about work lately. It just tends to be a little more than I want to bear these days. I'm super tired. What I need is for the construction to be up, first week of camp to be over, and to have some sort of finality with my grandmother. Which by the way, the DNR has been signed and she's still holdin' on--just barely, but still holdin' on. She's not quite ready to go to that big pow wow in the sky. Yes, I just said that.

Let's see...
At work I answer calls non stop all day in between the registration process and financial assistance process. Since they are adding onto the Y we have all been moved to temporary places. Yesterday, I moved from a temporary spot, to another temporary spot. Which puts me 20 feet from the construction of the new billing/registration office--my new space when all is said and done. During this process, and as i've mentioned before I'm in my busiest time of year, I have jackhammers, drills, pounding hammers, and the list goes on right outside my door. And there's only a very thin wall to try to break the sound. It does not work, my friends. Because now during my already busy time, i'm screaming into the phone, explaining to parents why it's so noisy in the background or calling parents back because due to construction every 5th call the phones go out. Normally because they are rewiring or honestly, sometimes because they weren't paying attention and cut a line. I'm over this construction business. Thankfully today, I was able to see more headway with my new office area.

This was taken this morning around 11am...



It's stressful for us all though. We are 6 work days away from camp and we are all moving offices at a most inconvenient time. But what do you do? If the CEO says, "Move!". well, you move. My sweet friend Tasia is maxed to her limit as well. I came outside to check on her, and this is what I found....

Tasia: light pink shirt; Angie: dark pink. I didn't get the memo to wear the matching pink shirt and white skirt. 

Poor thing. She's overwhelmed because she has 4 work days to hire staff. And well, it's not as easy you think it might be. And I'll have you know, right after I took this picture I did the chicken dance for her. Yep, right there in front of the good ol' YMCA. Nice. By the time I left the Y, much later than my usual 6pm, my walls looked like this....

I think they would get done much quicker if they spent less time on the phone. Seriously!! Every time you go out there, someone is on their cell phone. 

Yesterday, wasn't a great day. I had a very large emotional breakdown, a heated disagreement with my boss--but I won, and basically had a hard time keeping it together. But today. Today was a different story. I managed to keep a little grace, patience and humor in my day. It probably helped that I prayed all day for sanity. Ask and you shall receive. With my good humor I managed to break out in song about the copier finally being fixed, a reprise of the copier being fixed and a little diddy of medley about jackhammers, mean parents and losing my mind. That one was actually funny. It made me laugh and my co-workers--one of them even added their own verse. Didn't see that coming!  

And finding a way to survive the insanity--even if it is breaking into an impromptu musical; that's all that counts, right? Right. 


1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Hey, it's all material for your musical one day so enjoy it - - - and keep your laptop handy so you can take notes.

I'd loved to have heard your copy machine diity ;)