Monday, March 9, 2009

Books!!

These days I have been a reading machine. I love love love to read. And I love perusing the library and checking out all sorts of books. Recently, I read through the "Twilight" Series. Shhhhh, quit judging me.

After that, I felt I needed to read something with substance and decided on "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. Let me just say, that book broke me and ravaged my heart at the abuses, loss and brokenness the Afghan women have to endure. I literally wept last night over this book and the issues it awoke in my heart about this particular people group.

This morning, I moved onto the next book on my reading list. Already I can barely handle it, but I know it's going to be worth the read. It's called, "Push," and is written by Sapphire. It's about an illiterate 16 year old trying to survive in modern day Harlem with a multitude of odds against her. It's been made into a movie already that has won multiple awards at this years Sundance Film Festival. Literally, up to this point, I can only read a few pages at a time. I'm not sure if my heart is not ready for another intense book or if it's just hard to read. This book is to the point, hard core, merciless, no glossing things over or making issues "pretty". If the movie is anything like the book, it's going to be heartbreaking to watch.

Maybe my next book should be more light hearted!!

No comments: