Wednesday, January 20, 2010

for the love of biscotti

Ever since Christmas, thanks to Halen and Sharon, I have been craving, eating, enjoying all kinds of biscotti. I want some with my coffee and/or tea every day. As I've been enjoying this scrumptious goodness, it occurred to me that maybe I should learn to make my own biscotti as it cost anywhere from $1.85 to $2.00 to purchase for one slice. Now that seems small, but doing this everyday starts to add up. I've taken to perusing biscotti recipes to find one I think I can make. Each recipe I've found to suit my fancy seems to have one little problem. What is that problem you ask? the elusive, (to me), stand up mixer. Every recipe I have found that I like is sort of snobby with there instruction of, "In a stand up mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat butter...." Um, not all of us have a stand up mixer. I can't afford a Kitchenaid mixer. I want one. Who doesn't? All girls dream of being a domestic diva with all the fancy appliances to make their baking/cooking dreams come true. But sadly, not all of us have or can afford one. So, I was irritated for a moment, yet only a wee moment because then I realized..."hey, my G-ma Charlotte didn't have a fancy stand up mixer with all the attachments." My great-grandmother, who by the way, was an amazing chef and baker was like Caroline Ingalls from the pioneer days and made things from scratch with just a bowl and a spoon. So, in my head I'm thinking, "I got this!!" Because she has imparted most of her teachings to me; so of course, I got the baking thing down without all the fancy equipment, right? Wrong. Now I see why there is need for a stand up mixer. Unless I'm an octopus with 8 arms, I could barely keep it all going with the flow and ease I imagined in my head. But, that's okay. I'll keep trying until I get it right. I'm like the Little Engine That Could. I just keep saying, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!" So for now, I'll keep telling myself "I think I can" until I can with my batter bowl, hand mixer and spoon.



Quick fun fact: did you know that originally Italians made biscotti to dunk in their coffee and WINE?? Gosh, I love the Italians!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I was hoping for a biscotti offering at church tonight but, alas, it did not happen....

It was nice to see you, my friend. xoxoxox

Raelynn said...

if i would have made it; of course, i would have offered it to you.

love you most.