Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Strengths Test

Everyone here in Utah, literally almost everyone--just kidding..but not really--has taken the Strengths test. It's from the book called, "Now Discover Your Strengths". Not wanting to be left out, I rushed down to nearest B&N to get the book.

'Cause I'm in the know. I'm hip. I'm happenin'!

Okay, actually...
I feel like everyone has at some point in conversation since I've moved here has said, "Have you taken the strengths test? What are yours?" In reality I tried and tried not to take it, 'cause damn it I don't conform anymore just because everyone else is doing it. But after chattering Sharon's ears off for hours about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, she suggested I take the test. At first, the rebellious monster inside of me was like, Hell to the nah! But after a little thought and consideration I figured it wouldn't hurt. After all I am working on an upgrade in my life. And upgrades take work, take initiative, take tests to get better acquainted with oneself.

So as you may have guessed I took myself to Barnes and Nobles and got the "Strengths Finder 2.0" -the improved version, which was on sale, WORD! On Tuesday evening I took the Strengths test to see exactly how I roll--if your picking up what I'm laying down. There are 34 different themes, or strengths. Once you finish the test, they give you the top 5 themes from strongest down.

Here's my results...

Positivity
People who are especially talented in the Positivity theme have an enthusiasm that is contagious. They are upbeat and can get others excited about what they are going to do.

Includer
People who are especially talented in the Includer theme are accepting of others. They show awareness of those who feel left out, and make an effort to include them.

Restorative
People who are especially talented in the Restorative's theme are adept at dealing with problems. They are good at figuring out what is wrong and resolving it.

Empathy
People who are especially talented in the Empathy theme can sense the feeling of other people by imagining themselves in others' lives or others' situations.

Woo
People who are especially talented in the Woo theme love the challenge of meeting new people and winning them over. They derive satisfaction from breaking the ice and making a connection with another person.
******************************

Are you surprised? I'm not.

After you are given the results, they also include a broader synopsis of the theme with some ideas for action and application. The goal is to teach you how to best work within your strengths in order to succeed. As you learn about the other themes, you also learn how to work with others who's themes are opposite of yours.

Though I was rebellious, I have learned a lot. And they aren't wrong at all because as I read the broader definition and the applications, I was constantly laughing and saying, "that's definitely me!" I love it when that happens. The test is really great because it doesn't allow for you to edit yourself in a way so you will score high on something. You know everyone does that on tests, so they feel better about themselves and can be like, "see I'm so humble and good!!" This comes at you practically and asks in a way that you can't help but answer honestly.

I say, if you haven't done it...give it a go!! Just do it. You know you want to. Okay, be rebellious for a wee moment and then do it. Honestly, it has helped me shed light on why I do what I do. And the bonus is reading about other themes/strengths. Now I'm also learning about what makes those who are not like me tick. You know, what floats their boat. Revs their engine. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Do it, do it, do it. Then let me know your results.

Cheerios!

3 comments:

becca said...

I bet Shannon was happy you took this :) You two have some of the same don't you? Woo, positivety, inclusive? I agree, great book. It has helped me understand how to work with others better at my job cuz you know how challenging those guys can be...ehheemm... ;) heehee

Raelynn said...

Yes, Becca, Shannon was very happy I took the test. We actually have 4 of the same strengths. We differ in I'm "restorative" and she has the "belief" strength.

Rebecca said...

shannon is raelynn's mini-me :)