Monday, September 22, 2008

"it's because you're indigenous!"

I tried something new tonight. I learned how to make homemade tortillas from the lovely Jamita R. McGowan. (The "R" stands for Tortilla Master!!)

Tortilla making came quite naturally to me. Jamita was telling me how to work the flour and water until it turns into good "tortilla" dough. She was explaining how to roll them out and was telling me not to worry if they didn't come out perfectly round because hers always come out shaped like pac man and other types of creatures and odd shapes.

So I began my journey of tortilla making. It took a minute to figure out the correct consistency of flour and warm water. I added too much water, so I needed more flour. Eventually it was perfect. So I let the dough sit for a minute or two, maybe three. Then the rolling began.....


And I soon noticed that I was doing okay and my tortillas did indeed look like tortillas and not creatures and odd shapes. I was exclaiming my joy of this feat to Jamita. I said, "look i'm doing it, they're even coming out round!"


And she quickly exclaimed, with a roll of her eyes, "it's because you're indigenous!" Which made me burst into laughter. Because I know the truth. Yes I do. She was so jealous of my mad tortilla making skills.

The bounty....



Nice!!

1 comment:

Misty Bradley said...

Yummy, yummy! Come make me some!