Sunday, November 9, 2008

Nederland & the Frozen Dead Guy

Yesterday, after relaxing all morning and into early afternoon, Sarah & Brianna told me they were wanting to go explore Nederland and asked me to go. Of course, I jumped at the chance as I've only driven through once on a scenic drive to Estes Park. On our drive up, we stopped at Boulder Falls--a quick must see.

Normally it's more full of rushing water...but it is winter folks!!

Then we headed up to the wee mountain town of Nederland. I wanted my first stop to be at the trolley turned into coffee shop for a nice vanilla latte. so, Sarah and Brianna obliged and to the coffee shop we went.


I loved the trolley coffee shop. I loved that they played Patty Griffin's album. Something about her voice felt right in the trolley. I will definitely be visiting again.

Inside the trolley coffee shop!

We meandered along around town. We found a nativity scene and brianna felt it was important to stop and say a little prayer. Or rather have a photo op. Maybe she wants it for her personal christmas cards, who knows? After we left there, we went to the Alpaca Store. Were we were met with a, "well, I know you're not Ned heads, how can I help you?" Apparently I don't have a Ned head look about me. As we looked around Brianna spotted the clerks--i can't remember his name, i'll call him Ted--guitar and then off she was playing it. Ted told her too, of course. And many discussions were to be had. But the most important discussion came as we were walking out the door. As we were leaving, Ted was telling us all the places to check out. And Ted said, "don't forget to go check out the Frozen Dead Guy! Huh? What the F? So, I think I said, "Um , excuse me. Did you say the frozen dead guy?" To which he kindly replied with the story about Grandpa Bredo who after dying at the families mountain Norwegian retreat, was shipped from Norway to California on dry ice. Yep! I'm starting to think Norwegians are a bit kooky!! Just kidding Rebecca.

So, yes, now we know of Grandpa Bredo Morstoel. Apparently, then the grandson--who from what the Ned Heads say, wasn't working with a full deck--pulled him out of the cryogenics institute and was shipped to Nederland and put in a shed in the back yard on dry ice--until he built his own cryogenics institute. The grandson, Trygve Bauge, who had some crazy ways and apparently was known for them, eventually got deported back to Norway because his visa ran up. So, the mother, Aud, kept grandpa on ice. Then because she was living without plumbing or electricity was evicted from her home as that is against city ordinances. Well, worried that grandpa was going to thaw, she talked to the paper to plead her case. Well, when they found out there was a frozen dead guy, I think people got in an uproar. Eventually, Aud, was deported as well, but grandpa is still frozen in the tuff shed. And now, Nederland, apparently has Frozen Dead Guy Days in March each year to celebrate grandpa and his immortality or something like that.

Here's the poster from this past years festival.

At Frozen Dead Guy days they have coffin races, a look alike contest--like Grandpa Bredo, the polar plunge and a tour of grandpa's shed. I do believe that I just might have to make it to the festivities next March.

You should definitely check out the links above to read the whole story. I even found a ledger for the man who makes sure Grandpa stays frozen. You can read that here

So, it goes without saying, that my Nederland adventure was memorable. 

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

ok, i'm leaving since you insulted my norwegian heritage. doesn't everyone have a grandpa on ice in their tough shed? geesh.

i do have to admit that after spending a week with my norwegian peeps in oregon, it struck me how 'unusual' my rellies are.

becca said...

Alpaca store? Did they have alpaca yarn?? Can you tell I'm kinda obsessed? Also I noticed Kate's hat with her Riff Machine (weird! hope it works!). That had would be nice to knit.
Thanks for sharing your adventures :) I was actually LOLing! Keep em coming!