Friday, February 26, 2010

for the love of creativity

I've been creative mindercising* lately. I've been excavating my creativity that I buried many, many, MANY moons ago. As I've been on this excavation process I have found that in the last month I keep seeing the world in snapshots. I'll be driving, walking, talking, working, or even taking the bus and I'll see something that catches my eye and in a flash it turns into a mental photograph. I also find myself to be constantly saying, "that would be an amazing photo."

I love photography.
I love going on photography adventures in hopes that I'll stumble upon something that speaks to my soul.


Photography for me is therapeutic. Since I've been having this yearning to capture snapshots of the world around me, I thought to myself that my 4th Sunday Home Group** will be spent alone with Jesus and a camera. I'm planning to, not plan, and to not have any idea of what I think I should find or what would be an epic photo; but rather, to see where the Lord leads me, in hopes to see the world through His lens. I'm going to GO! and keep my heart, mind and spirit OPEN to what the Lord will show me.

Side Note: I'd like to give a shout out to Ray Rushing***, AMAZING photographer extraordinaire for lending me one of his Nikons, (or maybe I should say...trusting me with), to use for my creative outlet over the next few weeks.


Here's an example of one of those snapshots I see on a daily basis. I pass this particular spot often when I'm traveling back and forth from my Y office to our schools or the Boulder Y office. Yesterday it was dark and gloomy as the clouds were rolling in over the mountains full of fluffy white flakes. Something about it made me want to stop and just reflect for a moment. So, for once, I did just that. Stopped and looked. The only camera I had on me at the time was my camera phone, but I still felt compelled to take the photo. Something about the spot spoke to my spirit and wanted me to pause, and pray.





Then today, when running into Boulder, I came upon the same spot I see often and it looked completely different. It wasn't telling the same story. So, again, I pulled over and took a quick snapshot to remember what I was seeing today.






And that's one of the reasons I love photography. It takes a moment in time that will never happen again and captures it to be immortalized through a one of a kind photo. So, this will be my main creative outlet for the next month or two, or until I feel its time to move on to my next creative medium.

Here's to creative mindercising and getting arty*!


* Thanks Julia for the witty naming of our journey toward a creative mind! Your words are a creative experience in themselves.
**Origins does not have an in house service on the last Sunday of the month, but rather we gather in homes to love on each other and build our community. I have chosen to use said days, for the time being, to be alone with the Lord. Something I hardly ever do. But, this is my attempt to Raelynn date days with THE Big Guns. God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.
*** Ray Rushing's webpage can be found by clicking, here!!

No comments: