Thursday, February 11, 2010

my personal *flair*

A friend and I had an impromptu conversation the other day when she was opening my refrigerator (or 'ice box and/or fridge' for you Midwesterners) and was looking at all my 'flair'--as she referred to it--upon the refrigerator door. She then preceded to tell me that my flair helped her learn more about me, merely by what was being displayed.

And yes, I would say, the flair on my 'fridge reveals about 33.7% of who I am and what I'm like; it can't all be mine especially since a few of the magnets reveal my roommate Tasia's personal flair. As you glance at it, those who know me well, know how much I love the Rio. Oh how those margaritas beckon me!! And lo and behold, in the bottom left corner you will find a Rio "marg" magnet reminding me that 3 is the limit. Then I have my favorite quotes to inspire me each day. I firmly believe we should all "dwell in possibility,"--and thank you Emily Dickinson for your friendly reminder. Of course, there are the places I've been and/or want to live; friends who are superstar acoustic playing ninjas; wedding reminders; as well as, the pics of those who are dear to my heart--& my roommate Tasia's of course--and the memories I will treasure for years to come.
(Obviously not all of you are on there; yet rest in the fact that I still absolutely adore you and more than likely you are hanging elsewhere in my home.)



I think the magnet that describes the me I desire to be most accurately was bought for me out of the blue by my supervisor at work. She said when she saw it, she immediately thought of me. And when someone tells you something like that before handing over the trinket they found that * best describes* you from their opinion they've formed of you, you smile and hope with all your might that its not something crass or tacky, and is close to who you believe you are. Then there's that fear that of "what if how I see myself doesn't line up with how other's see me?" ::insert biting knuckles here:: I know, I know. I'm psychotic at times but these are the things that run amuck in my head. But alas, I loved how she saw me and I feel it's an accurate description of me; or at least, the me I try to be.



And, YES, I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world. I wholeheartedly do. At least in my wildest, full of faith, livin' on love and in the goodness of the Lord dreams...I, my friends, can change the world for the better.

Ever since this conversation with my friend about my 'fridge flair, it made me start to notice the 'flair' we, or really I, have in other places of our lives. The way we dress, the foods we choose, the social activities we participate in, the issues we fight for, where we are passionate, to name a few. Basically, all the many ways in which we identify who we are. And it made me start to take a good look at myself to make sure I'm accurately presenting who I am and who I want to be. And trust me, I know that because my lack of patience, my grumpiness, my neurotic anxiety at times, my sensitivities and yes, even how high strung I am when life is falling apart all around me...my flair is not always what I want to give off as my personal representation. Nor is it pretty, loving or becoming. Which in turn made me ponder more about how I'm presenting myself daily, because the most important thing I want to have portrayed is that I'm loving and that I love ALL. I mean, I have love tattooed on my arm for goodness sake. My seal and mantra that is permanently placed upon my arm to remind me that above all I am to love. And though there are days that I fail miserably, I still make a point to make sure I am putting forth love above all else. Yes, even when its a challenge. And I may not have it all down right now, but that's okay. As long as I keep striving forward and reminding myself to love, passionately and unashamedly. Eventually the who I know I am on the inside, will be who I portray on the outside. And when other's see my *flair* they will know that above all, I LOVE.

No comments: